Thursday, December 3, 2009

Blog # 21- The true purpose of your story

The first section of homework we had to read on revising our work is about rereading, Reimagining, and Reshaping. There is a line in this passage that says, "Try asking yourself why anyone would want to read this piece- what are its meaning and purpose." Many times before I start writing, I focus on an inspirition I find interesting but I also think it is important to be able to connect with your audience- to find something they can relate to. In many ways, we all go through the same experiences and many others aren't able to see things through your perspective. Writng is like finding a light at the end of the tunnel and in many respects, sometimes when I read... I say out loud "Oh wow, I feel that way too" or "I never saw it that way before." I think that's why I like writing the most. I like to inspire others and hope they recieve something through my writing. So this section really helped me to see that finding a FOCUS is significantly important and once I find the purpose of writing a story, I can get more ideas together for what I want to say.

Why did I choose essay number 4? When I was in one of my classes this mornning, my professor startied talking about Keat's poem Ode to a Nightengale. The line "O for a beaker full of the warm South" is actually a beautiful description because it focuses on a feeling- a specific sensation instead of describing a glass of wine. We can almost feel the essense on our tongues. With my fourth essay, I wanted to get my audience to feel instead of me telling, telling, telling. Yes, it is more difficult for me to write but what I recently learned is that great art is not just all about visual. And that's what I feel writing is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment