Friday, December 11, 2009

CNF Evaluation/ Reflection

1. Meeting Course Objectives:

- What did you learn in this course?

I started writing my own blog before I took this class and I always loved writing poetry and non- fiction because it was basically writing a version of who I am. I feel like in life, we all go through the same experiences and I strongly believe I have a lot to offer the world. I want to inspire. And with creative non- fiction, I can write the truth but in many different styles of versions to depict that truth- hence Creative non-fiction. This class was very beneficial for me. I learned how to write persoanl and other types of that expanded my skills and helped me to understand more what I like to do.


-About the form of CNF?

There are many different forms but that's why I like it. Each type of creative non-fiction piece, a person produces, it all displays the truth in a different way depending on the style the writer uses.

-What did you learn about how to write creative non-fiction?

I think I learned about focus the most. Sometimes when I have an idea for a story, I write what I feel but didn't think of it too much from the perspective of the reader. Now when I write, I become more aware of each paragraph and contemplate more about ways I can write a certain piece that will make my focus more clearer.

- About where to publish/find publishing venues for your creative writing?

I didn't really give this much thought before, but it is really important for an emerging writer to get their work out there in some way. I mean, every little bit helps and eventually you will get close and closer to where you rally want to be. But you have to try. There are so many great publications, and many involve a personal and inspirational approach that I like to use in my writing.

-Did you change anything /try anything different in your writing process? Please describe?

Yes, definitely. I used to hate editing a lot more and just like I hate to throw away garbage in my room, I also don't like to cut sentences in my stories. I feel like everything has a meaning, but now I see that in order to get to a clear focus, is is important to change things around. I also look for my focus more and instead of using a lot of "telling" sentences, I try to describe as best as I can. At first, it was a challenge but I think I'm getting a little better at it. And my sentences do sound more metaphoric which is great.

-Which class assignments/class experiences helped you learn whatever you learned?

I learned from all of them but for some reason, I really enjoyed writing the last story a lot because I truly feel like it gave me more an ability to expand my creativity and skills in writing. I used imagery and description more than ever before in my writing and I never thought I could do it throughout a story like that. But really, this is how stories should be. The reader should be able to come up with their own interpretation.

-What do you wish the course spent more time on?

I guess writing creative non-fiction in general. There is so much information and so much to know and I wish the classes were longer. But other than that, I gained so much and I absolutely loved the class.

What do you wish we'd spent less time on?

I think the class was fine just the was it was.

2. Structure of course/assignments:

- Blogs

I enjoyed writing many of the blogs and felt that it gave me the opportunity to contemplate about a lot of stories we read while thinking and reflecting on my own.

- Reading

The readings helped me to think about my own writing in ways of making it better and different styles I can use.

-writing journal

It was difficult sometimes to get ideas across on page but it enabling me to see constant themes in my writing which I think was one of the main point of writing in our journals. I also loved our discussions in class and hearing others' comments.

-writing assignments

I enjoyed the topics we had to write about and I feel each benefited me and gave me more experience and skills in writing that will help me in my future writing career.

-exploration of publication venues

I am really glad we did this in class because I wasn't aware of all the venues that are available and it is important to get your work out there.

Questions:

-Right pace/schedule?

Yes I do feel that we had enough time to do everything. I stressed a little about my stories being done one time because they had to be written close to when the last story was due but many of the stories were drafts. There wasn't a huge emphasis on perfection until we got to the final draft. I just put pressure on myself when it comes to my writing which I am working on.

-Coherence of material?

Yes. Everything was understandable and clear.

-Workload => Too much, too little, just right? What would you change?

The workload was fine. Like I said before, most of the time I put pressure on myself. I'll admit though, some of the readings I didn't get to because I had so many other things due the same week but I felt guilty and tried to review them before class so I understood what everyone was taking about. But most of them I read and I finished all the stories on time. :)

-Cover material appropriate to course goals?

Yes, Defiantly

-Enough feedback for grades?

Oh, plenty. In fact, I appreciated it so much that you gave so much time for your students- All the comments you gave and the conferences. A lot of professors don't do that. Well, no one I met so far except for you. I am very thankful and received so much from it. Thank you again.

3. Provisions for feedback/grades

-comments/grades for blogs

Everything was great.

-comments/grades for blogs

I wish there was more of a focus on this because I enjoyed reading my classmates blgs to see what they thought, but I'll admit I didn't get too much feedback either.

-reading aloud from journals + class discussion

I enjoyed this a lot. It was fun in class and I learned so much. There was a lot of interation and discussions with my classmates that made them more my friends instead of people in the same class.

-conferences with professor on papers

I had two conferences with you but loved them both. I feel like they help a lot and it is always enjoyable to talk with you.

-group work with classmates on papers

Enjoyable, fun, and informative

-written feedback/grades on papers

Again, thank you so much for all your time. I enjoyed reading your comments, appreciated your feedback, and benefited quite a bit from it. :)

-reflective writing about your work (in you journal, on your blog)

I enjoyed this a lot and felt that it was very useful.

Questions:

-Which form of feedback was most helpful?

Probably the last story, because I really took it seriously about how I should concentrate on my focus. I actually printed out your feedback as a guide so it helped a lot.

-Which did you enjoy most?

I enjoyed reading the first one a lot because it was feedback from a story that meant to much to me. And at the time, I was going through a lot of anxiety and it meant a great deal to me to hear good news about something I wrote. Thank you.

-Any which you felt was unproductive?>

Well, I gained a lot of insight from all of them but since I didn't re-write my third story, I would say that one. But maybe in the future I will.

-What would you do more of?

More editing and revising.

-What would you do less of?

Telling, Telling, Telling- without letting the reader decide for themselves.

-Did you feel the grading system was fair?

Yes I do.

-Did the grades/grading system contribute to learning?

Yes

4. General response:

-Is there anything you could tell me that would help me teach a better/more engaging course?

Actually no. I loved your teaching methods and way you taught the course. I loved this class a lot! I especially loved how you saw each of us as an individual with different interests, feelings, and personalties. There was no pressure in the class at all. I felt more confident and enjoyed writing- not just for a grade but for myself. The class was also a lot of fun and I wanted to
come!

-Anything you want to say about your experience of the course?

Same. Thank you so much for everything. You are an amazing professor and I wish I had more classes with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment